top of page

Zoë FIT UK Group

Public·6 members

Real Ham Bone Dog Treat Where To Buy

Last year, Dynamic Pet Products, the maker of the dog bones, was under investigation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) amid reports that scores of dogs have become seriously ill or died after eating the manufacturers treats.

real ham bone dog treat where to buy

Typically, a dogs health problems surface within minutes of chewing on the treat. Pet parents notice the treat has broken apart, or the bone has been entirely ingested, they take it away and a short time later the dogs are gravely ill, trying, but unable to vomit or vomiting profusely without any stomach contents emerging from the continued effort.

NOTE: FDA initially published this Consumer Update in 2015, and has had information on this topic on its website since 2010. The agency regularly updates the number of reports around this time of year as a reminder to pet owners about the potential problems associated with giving bone treats or turkey/chicken bones during the holidays.

The reports, sent in by pet owners and veterinarians, involved about 90 dogs (some reports included more than one dog). In addition, FDA received seven reports of product problems, such as moldy-appearing bones, or bone treats splintering when chewed by the pet.

Walking their dogs, Panda and Schweenie, on spring day in Hartford is a blessing for Gloria and Ron Witt. After what happened over Easter weekend, they weren't sure their family was ever going to be the same."I would say probably around 5:00 a.m. -- he heard it first and he said, 'was that just the sound of Panda throwing up again?'" Gloria recalled.Panda had started throwing up before they went to bed. Schweenie wasn't feeling good either. Earlier, both dogs chewed on a Real Ham Bone made by Dynamic Pet Products. Gloria bought the bones from Walmart as a special Easter treat."They're real big bones. They were smoked in like, applewood. So, I thought, 'that's a perfect treat. I'm such a good mom, right?'" Gloria said.When Panda was still sick in the morning, Gloria felt awful."I wrapped her up in a blanket and took her to the vet. And obviously they knew immediately that she was very, very sick," Gloria said.

While Gloria waited at the vet, she Googled "Dynamic Pet Products - Made in the USA" and was shocked by what she found. There were pages of consumer complaints about the Missouri-based company claiming their pets got "deathly ill" or died after chewing a Real Ham Bone.Gloria also discovered a petition pushing to get the product off the market and a Facebook group called, "Fight for Fred....ban products unsafe for dogs to consume." The petition and group were started by a family who says their dog died after eating a Real Ham Bone.Even the Better Business Bureau in St. Louis is concerned about the bone. They issued a warning and spoke about it with FOX6's sister station, KTVI."The FDA says dogs shouldn't be getting bones at all," said Chris Thetford, vice president of communications at the St. Louis BBB.The Food and Drug Administration doesn't recommend bones of any kind. When pieces break off they can get stuck anywhere and if shards get stuck in dog's throat or stomach it can be very dangerous.Ron Witt checked out Dynamic Pet Products' website and looked closely at the warning label.

At the Wisconsin Humane Society (WHS), they don't recommend bones for dogs either."There's really no guarantee that any treat is going to be 100% safe for your dog," said Angela Speed, vice president of communications at WHS.Instead, WHS recommends filling a Kong toy with a dog's food and peanut butter as a treat. If you're worried about your dogs health and safety, stick with foods and treats they're used to."Any treat, especially a new treat, can be hazardous to a dog," Speed said.The BBB in St. Louis takes its warning further. They've reached out to retailers that sell Dynamic Pet Products like Jewel Osco and Walmart. The BBB says Jewel Osco has removed the products from their shelves.Contact 6 reached out to Walmart. The company sent this statement about concerns over the Real Ham Bone treat:

I started this Face book page in 2010. I lost my beautiful Black Labrador retriever on 3/8/2010. He ate one of these bones and it broke into sharp shards and punctured his bowel. I took the rest back to Same Club and the manager said he wouldn't sell them anymore. Sad to say not true. The FDA investigation is going on supposedly , but I hear beings its a pet "treat" they won't or can't do nothing. Sad to hear people are still losing there pets , 5 years and counting since I lost Sammie. Hopefully someday these heartless bastards will stop looking at $$$ and cease making them. RIP Sammie.

Dynamic Pet Products released a statement in response to the claims advising dog owners to supervise pets with any treats or snacks. According to the FDA, bones are generally unsafe for dogs and should not be given as treats.

Dr. Barbra Lightner, who treated Louie, warns that pieces of any item - socks, toys, balls, or sticks - can obstruct intestines. And cooked or roasted dog bones often splinter. \"I generally don't give my own animals bones, either cooked, or raw of that nature, because they can be a significant problem,\" Dr. Lightner said.

The FDA released a report this month that warns against giving dogs what it refers to as "bone treats." These treats are different from the uncooked butcher bones that come from meats or meat products approved for human consumption, the FDA says. Rather, the treats are full or partial pieces of animal bone that are processed and packaged for sale in groceries, pet stores and online retailers. Multiple companies produce these products marketed with names like Meaty Beef Knuckle Treat, Beef Femur, Ham Bone.

Rawhides, pig ears and marrow bone treats are not included in the FDA's warning. An FDA spokesperson told NPR in a statement that rawhide and rawhide-like products, "are not required as part of a complete and balanced diet for your pet. If you choose to feed your pet any of these products, watch your pet closely. FDA recommends pet owners talk to their veterinarian about which treats are appropriate for their particular pet."

The FDA says it received reports of illness in some 90 dogs who chewed the treats from November 2010 to September 2017. Claimed ill effects included digestive tract blockages, choking, mouth cuts and sores, vomiting, diarrhea and rectal bleeding. In addition, the FDA states, "approximately 15 dogs reportedly died after eating a bone treat."

Dr. Christine Bryan, a professor of community veterinary services at Mississippi State University, tells NPR she has seen a lot of canine patients suffering ill effects after consuming bone treats. As a veterinarian, Bryan never recommends them.

She says one of the issues with them is the way that some are made. Instead of being an actual animal bone, some products are animal material ground up and pressed into a bone shape. This increases the risk that small shards of the treat could break off and cause internal damage or blockages, Bryan said.

She wasn't surprised to read about the FDA's recommendation. She said it is fairly widely known that bone treats are not good for dogs, but owners give in out of a sense of love. They want to spoil their dogs, and they don't realize the danger, Bryan said. And sometimes it's a matter of cost. At some stores, a bag of 15 bone treats is less expensive than one synthetic bone or a new chew toy.

As an alternative, Bryan likes chew toys that engage a dog's physical and mental energy. Bryan recommends a type of rubber toy with holes that owners can fill with peanut butter or canned dog food and freeze for longer playtime. She also suggests a synthetic chewing bone appropriate for the dog's chewing strength. Above all, Bryan echoes Stamper's recommendation to supervise dogs when they have any sort of chew toy or treat.

Feed as a treat or snack. Always Supervise your pet when feeding and choose a bone larger than your dog's mouth. Bone is to be chewed and not eaten. Always provide fresh drinking water. Not recommended for dogs with digestive problems.

Is your dog getting tired of the same old dry kibble? Reward your favorite pet with a country-cured 100% ham bone with meat. These bones are fully cooked and require no refrigeration. This treat is salt-cured, so please provide plenty of water for your dog during consumption. Buster's Bones - real ham bones for real dogs! From Smithfield Virginia hams!

Each unit is permeated with "Real" hickory smoke and is replicated based on a real large pork ham bone providing hours of chewing satisfaction. Please remember, all pet toys should only be used with adult supervision. 041b061a72


Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...
bottom of page